Sunday, July 12, 2009

I want to develope a simple C++ ascii based game, help with what header files and libraries i shoud use???

I'v been reading this book called teach your self C++ in 21 days by jess liberty. I want to make a game but all i know is how to write text to the screen, profram flow and i wont bore you with the details. Can anybody sujjest any good header files that provide good functionality for simple games??

I want to develope a simple C++ ascii based game, help with what header files and libraries i shoud use???
I'll assume you are on Windows. I'm on Linux. As I remember, that book used a Borland compiler -- I may be wrong but if you want to do an ascii based game for windows then borland developed a library and header file called conio.h (wikipedia credits microsoft and I don't remember where I heard it was borland but this was 1994 when I was in college. and I believe me not wikipedia here). Microsoft and Windows implementations of GCC have cloned it. If you want to write a cross-platform ascii-based game the header files/library package you want is pdcurses which is a Windows implementation of an old Unix library called Curses now implemented in Unix/Linux under the name Ncurses.





Conio.h is much simpler and straightforward. Curses can be very convoluted. On the other hand you can just grab your curses-based software and run it through a compiler for a Linux box, a Mac box or for heavens sake an old IBM 360 and it will probably just run. In the end I would say, try to learn both, eventually.





Hope this helps.

plum

No comments:

Post a Comment