Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Do I need to create my own game engine in c#?

I am attempting to create a 3D game predominantly in c# and I want the game to be incredibly detailed and have very realistic physics so my question is: do I need to create my own game engine or are the game engines out there that will allow me to do that.





note: when I say detailed I mean something along the lines of simulating metal fatigue, rusting, it won't simulate gravel there will be thousands of actual rocks.

Do I need to create my own game engine in c#?
LOL





Get Blender and the python gaming kit.





You can legally distribute your game to any platform when it is done.
Reply:There are game engines available for purchase (e.g. Valve's Source Engine used for the Half-Life series, the Id Tech family of game engine created by Id Software and whatever Crytek are using for Crysis) but the problem for you will be that all these engines are horrendously expensive to license. These things are intended for proper software houses to use when creating games that will sell hundreds of thousands of copies; there's no way you could afford to buy the use of them. That said, there's practically no chance you could create your own engine from scratch either as that's a massive project even for a company employing loads of experienced developers never mind you doing it on your own. Your best bet it to use one of the older Id Tech engines which are open source. Id Tech 3 is already open sourced and thus available for free, and Id Tech 4 is planned to be open sourced at some point in the future.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_3


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_4

potential breakup song

No comments:

Post a Comment